The circling has been done, the tickets bought and I can't wait for the kick-off of this year's Kilkenny Arts Festival. The programme is a fantastic mix of "something for everyone"- Dance, Theatre, Music, Literature, Visual Arts, Craft and Street Performance, Kids workshops- 9 days Full of Culture with a capital C. Living right in the centre we get the best of the atmosphere and buzz around the city during these 10 days of August. With all its pop-up galleries, exhibitions and street art performances Kilkenny turns into one big cultural sweet shop. I am so excited, I don't even think about the "more-than-our-flat-can-handle" number of friends we've invited to come to visit us during that time.
Next to the various gallery openings and visual arts treats available throughout the festival following are my personal MUST sees:
- The artist Angela O'Kelly will curate Modified Expression Exhibition at the NCG. And it's all about books, paper, written word! - check!
- Eric Sweeney& 3epkano -The Cabinet of Dr Caligari- a brand new live score to the silent cinema masterpiece- all in an amazing and a bit scary atmosphere
- Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - the name says it all, but have a look here also...
- TC Boyle - the sarcastic and vibrant author in talk about his latest book (*shall read before the talk...)
- Kaleidoscope- an informal concert of classical and contemporary music in the beautiful grounds of Kilkenny Design Centre
- Body Duet - a thrilling way of ending my Arts festival.
See you in Kilkenny!!!